Thursday, February 25, 2010

Speedskating

I've been searching for speed skating schools in the Bay Area. No such animal as it turns out, but I tried. Why you may ask? Olympic fever has struck our house and Milo is a huge fan of the speed skating. He "skates" around the hardwood floors in his socks, asking me if he has the starting form right. Trying to get his dad to skate with him. It's fun to watch. Of course, I saw the video of J.R. Celski cutting his leg open at the Olympic trials and almost bleeding out on the ice. I am not really interested in my son becoming a real speed skater and I'm kind of glad there aren't any schools around.

But I love watching kids discover the possibilities of sport whenever the Olympics come around. Two years ago, Milo was the biggest Michael Phelps fan I knew (except he called him Michael Phillips...technicalities). Milo is actually on a swim team now because of the Beijing Olympics. Right now he wants to give that up, move to Canada, and be a speed skater. I like his ambition, but I'm guessing this will pass. I remember the '84 Olympics. My sister Tamara was a precocious toddler, 17 months old and a climber. We found her on the fence in the backyard doing her best balance beam walk saying "Ibee Mahwylou" (I be Mary Lou). Students at school right now are talking about how cool the Nordic Combined is or how the biathlon looks fun. The journalists on the paper I advise write this column called "He Said, She Said", basically a battle of the sexes idea. Anyway, tomorrow's edition is all about men's sports vs. women's Winter Olympic sports.They even wade into the ski jumping argument (For the record, the Olympics should have women's ski jumping. Seriously!). A particular favorite of my husband and his college friends is ski cross (that hare-brained, four skiers on course at the same time, ridiculously dangerous thrill ride that gets to be called a "sport").

The Olympics are great for so many reasons. Mostly for the possibilities. And because I know that somewhere in the stands sits someones mom. She probably ferried her kid to practices and competitions, reveled in triumphs and endured heartaches, dusted a million trophies and polished medals, washed uniforms and costumes, packed bags, and found the missing ____________ (fill in the blank). Those moms (and dads) are my heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment