Wednesday, February 24, 2010

God Bless My Girlfriends

Lately, I've been just overwhelmed with it all. I volunteer for the PTA at my son's school which recently has included meetings and a parcel tax get-out-the-vote campaign-rather quiet considering how hectic September and October were. I'm running the lap-a-thon for my son's swim team. Yep, that goes live on Monday. Oh, and let's not forget the walk-a-thon for the 8th grade at my middle school. I'm a public school teacher in a district badly in need of reform (and reforms are happening), but as you may have noticed, there isn't a lot of money for public education right now. Which is why I am going to a board meeting to hear about possible lay-offs in my district tomorrow night. Unrelated to the budget issues, but just as exhausting, I am teaching without a prep this year (6 periods a day, everyday, no planning period). And Milo is playing basketball on Fridays along with swimming four days a week. Did I forget anything? Yes! Baseball starts this weekend and Gavin and I are the assistant coaches. I left out the part where I tutor a neighbor kid two days a week. I feel a little guilty mentioning it, but I also have a really big family and try to make time for as many people as often as I can. Okay, my point here is that I am a busy girl!

Yesterday was typical of my schedule. I got to school around 8:30, started teaching my classes which include two seventh grade language arts sections, one 8th grade language arts, a two-period reading remediation clinic, journalism, and homeroom at 8:45 (thank goodness for late start times), went to a staff meeting that didn't end until 5:15, made my acupuncture appointment (love acupuncture as a pain management therapy since I have psoriatic arthritis), and got home around 6:40. Then I left again 10 minutes later. But this time it wasn't for a meeting, practice, or any other obligation. It also was not to hang out with Gavin and Milo (which I LOVE to do). It was a girl's night.

We went to Shabu House, a Japanese fondue place. There were 5 of us, cooking our meat and veggies-or just veggies for one of us-drinking Japanese beer and saki, and talking about everything under the sun. We each have a son in second grade, yet our boys weren't the focus of the evening. The day was really more about hanging out. We were at the restaurant for close to three hours and then hit a local pub for one more drink before heading home. I got to bed way too late, but it was worth it. Just hanging out with my friends, laughing, was what I needed. I don't think I've been laughing much lately and it's important. I felt rejuvenated (even though I had a rough time dragging my butt out of bed this morning). Honestly, I felt like me again.

So thanks. Helen, Lisa, Maggie, and Susan...you may not have known it, but you helped a friend in need.

3 comments:

  1. OMG, I'm exhausted just reading your schedule. I can assure you that Helen, Lisa, Maggie, and Susan would not want to be my friend if I was spread that thin. I'd be a complete bitch. You are a good, good woman. With good, good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I love reading your blog. You are indeed a very busy woman. Now I know when I get to chat with you at school, it's a privilege, as your time and energy is spread thin. Teach me how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I soo needed that! I don't know how yo do all that...we need to go out more!

    ReplyDelete