Friday, February 19, 2010

My Man

Last November, I went with Gavin and Milo to New Orleans. My husband's uncle and aunt live there, and we were visiting them for Thanksgiving. It was the first time they were to meet Milo, and as it turns out the last time for any of us to see Uncle Steve. He had cancer and died last week. It was a blessing for the suffering to end for Steve. For many reasons, Milo and I did not travel with Gavin to the funeral. Instead, he went alone and met up with his mother and aunt to say good-bye to their brother. I'm glad he had the chance to go.

The last time we went to New Orleans, we spent much of our time with Steve and his wife Charlotte, so we didn't really do "Nawlins" things. I was forever lamenting (jokingly so) to Gavin that I did not get to try beignets or have a Hurricane (even though we had gone to the French Quarter and the Garden District) on my first ever trip to the Big Easy.

Gavin came home today. He had just buried his uncle and flown all the way across country, changing his flights so that he could get home earlier...with a bag of beignets. And now he is playing bean ball soccer in the hallway with Milo, even though he's exhausted. I married a great man. And the beignets were delicious.

4 comments:

  1. Touching. And yes, you married a great man. The same kind of man Milo will be someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving off the part where we took out an overhead light playing bean ball soccer.

    ReplyDelete