Friday, March 19, 2010

Update

Milo has been on Straterra now for 2 weeks and the changes are profound. He has an easier time staying in his seat, dealing with set backs, and focusing on work. He isn't as bouncy or fidgety. In fact, his swim coach said she has noticed how much calmer Milo is. And his teacher has been very positive about the changes in him as well.

The first school day after Milo started his medication was day I realized we had made the right decision. Gavin was out of town and those days are always stressful- they make me wonder how single moms make their lives work day in and day out. Normally, when Gavin is out of town, I get everything ready the night before so that I can mitigate the inevitable issues I will face in the morning. Namely, it will take Milo twice as long to get ready as it does when his dad is home in the morning. The disruption to his schedule is just too much for him. I usually have to ask him two and three times to do minor tasks and keep his focus on getting out the door. This particular day (and several of the days after when Gavin has been gone), Milo was ready on time. I gave him an instruction once and he did them as told. It was a noticeable change and a pleasant one.

Of course, all is not perfect. There are still little behavioral quirks of Milo's that no medication could change. But it's nice to hear my kiddo say "Mom, the medicine is really helping. I think it's making me smarter. Think I can start college at 15?"

Sure, dude, right after you remember to put the toilet seat down.

1 comment: