Saturday, July 27, 2013

I Choose Strong

Lately, I have been feeling very unfocused. I've got a gazillion things going in my head (Ayurvedic thinking-one of my new passions-would say my mental vata dosha is out of whack). Arthritis and psoriasis have been the bane of my existence this summer (blame an excess of pitta there...perhaps some kapha, too). I have a ton I want to accomplish, but don't feel like much is getting going. Blah blah blah...yakkity schmakity...wah. Enough! I hate whining. Abhor it really. And I feel like I whine a lot lately.

With the impending arrival of my fortieth birthday, this girl is making some changes and taking on some challenges. The list includes in no particular order:

1. Improving my health with the assistance of yoga, Crossfit, the Paleo Diet, Ayurvedic medicine and acupuncture along with my allopathic medicine treatment, and prayer and meditation. Lame as it sounds, I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. They do not have me.
2. Gaining certification as an Ayurveda professional so I fully understand the principals of this health practice.
3. Becoming a National Board Certified Teacher.
4. Implementing the Common Core standards in my classroom and at my school while becoming an effective advocate for the standards to the community at large
5. Increasing the use of technology as a tool for me and my students in the classroom by writing a grant to get a mobile lab to facilitate digital portfolios
6. Helping my son survive, no thrive, in middle school. After all, I know a thing or two about this age group. Maybe it will help us all get through the next three years?!? Please?
7. Getting rid of the clutter in my house...we have more than we need and it's junking up the joint. Once that is done, I can start inviting people over again!
8. Writing more on my blog and in other places. I actually enjoy writing, and as an English teacher, I better practice what I preach! Everyone writes no matter their avocation ($0.50 word alert). To be honest, I have missed this. Publishing a piece can be cathartic; it can be a problem solver. Heck, it can be an ego boost.

Today, my writing is an accountability mechanism. I NEED to accomplish all of the above list. I figure giving myself a public accountability team will get me there. *fingers crossed*

I recently read a quote from a Yaqui Indian spiritual leader named Don Juan Matos.

"We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."

I choose strong. Here goes nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment